Social Confoes 007 – Marketing in Academics vs Marketing in Business w/ Ro-Ann Smith
For the previous few episodes we covered marketing from different angles, ranging from creative entrepreneurs and how social media has developed over the years. This time, Diego and Jean-luc are joined by Ro-Ann Smith to give us an academic perspective. Ro-Ann is a Marketing Consultant who has worked with several organizations in the area of digital marketing, content writing and management, marketing research and marketing strategy. Her qualifications include an MSc. Management with a Marketing Specialisation degree. She is also a Marketing PhD Candidate at Massey University in New Zealand.
- 0:00 – Introducing Ro-Ann and starting a Caribbean Community in New Zealand
- 12:40 – Why a PhD program in the other side of the world?
- 18:35 – How do you prevent yourself from becoming an armchair intellectual?
- 23:40 – What did you factor in when deciding your PhD research topic?
- 30:20 – How marketing and extension the social science and psychology behind it affects social consumer behavior
- 36:36 – What’s the biggest compromise that you had to make as you’re pursuing a PhD?
- 42:48 – How does female leadership come into play, drawing comparisons to New Zealand and Barbados?
- 50:45 – The influence of decentralization and groups in a global society
- 54:50 – How can valid information curation be amplified so communities do not get overwhelmed by publicly accessible information?
- 1:00:50 – How can we apply social marketing on a country level?
- 1:05:30 – What’s a solution to the danger that Conspiracy Theory websites pose on the wellbeing of tribes and communities?
- 1:14:54 – Closing Q with remarks
Video Version of the Episode
Feel free to join our Discord Server.